Salt Spring Public Library be closed until further notice starting at 12 noon today, Wednesday, March 18, in the interest of public health and “flattening the curve” of COVID-19.
Online services are still available, however. Chief librarian Karen Hudson recommends that people explore the library’s website to access great free resources. Those include:
• For ebooks, movies and TV shows, check out Hoopla. “An enormous selection, plus no waitlists, immediate access to all titles,” states the library. “If you’ve got a hot title in mind, try OverDrive & Libby. OverDrive is the program for computers, Libby is the App-version for devices. The platform offers more than two million digital titles from over 5,000 publishers.”
• Another interesting option: Open Library; this resource offers free access to 1.7 million scanned versions of books, and links to external sources.
• To read some magazines without buying them, try RBdigital Magazines – Offers full text and full images from 200 popular magazines. They can be read on a computer or downloaded via the RB Digital app.
• For edgy independent film, RBdigital Indieflix is a good option. This streaming movie collection of 8,000 titles provides unlimited access to award-winning independent shorts, feature films, classic TV and international documentaries from 85 countries. Search or browse the collection by: country, film festival or language.
• RBdigital Audiobooks – Recorded Books is the largest independent publisher of audiobooks, with a catalogue of over 35,000 exclusive titles.