Carol Burbidge (Johnson)
April 14, 1950 – May 7, 2020
Shortly after her 70th birthday, on May 7th at exactly 3pm, we said farewell to our beloved mother and grandmother. She wore every hat a woman could wear; daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother, auntie, cousin, friend, career woman and community advocate. To define Carol is to define love itself. Anyone who knew Carol was fed by her. To understand her, you would have to understand and appreciate a lifetime devoted to service. Serving her family, friends, spouse(s), community and clients, left her most fulfilled. Carol loved and called Saltspring her home since 1974.
So to honour Carol’s life, we her children, don’t ask for donations, but rather:
~ To Love each other (and yourself) a little more
~ To offer a little more kindness
~ To give a little more patience
~ To prepare food with love for someone in need
Then her love will continue to grow in all of us, and the world will continue to be a better place because our mom was in it. There is no better legacy.
She is survived by all of her children, and nine grandchildren ages 3-27, and countless others who loved and adored her. We would like to extend our deepest gratitude to the following who supported us as we granted moms final wishes to pass away at home. Thanks to:
~ Aunt Nancy, Auntie Fran and Kerry Chalmers who kept us strong
– To all the many people who brought food and drinks
– Community Gospel Chapel for the spiritual support and food
– Tara and Sarah-Jane who sang outside mom’s window
– The exceptional professional health care support workers
– For the beautiful flowers delivered (and kept with mom)
– To all of our extended family and friends who rallied near and far to support and love us, with special shout out to mom’s lifetime friend Jane Matthews
– To our father Geoff Gay and our spouses, who stood by us
To our mother, who was the bravest most inspiring woman, what you gave us in life helped us grant your final wishes in death.
Lastly, to the grace and love of God, who never left us. Thank you.
A Feast and musical celebration of Carol’s life will be planned for when we are all able to gather again.
Bless you all
A wonderful AUNT… one of my MOM’s best friends.. and SISTER.. Now in heaven.. Together.. Catching up on the years they shared.. and the years they missed together.. sadly missed.. but in a BETTER PLACE.. sincere condolences.. from Nephew Mark.. – in Oshawa Ontario